August 18, 2008

Bonesteele Goes to the Hospital

Saturday morning, we found Bonesteele had completely lost his voice. I thought he was just a bit hoarse as we had recently started sleep training, so he'd been doing some crying at night. But this was pretty bad. He sounded awful. He was acting pretty normally - smiling and rolling around on the carpet - but the sound of him trying to cry was horrible, so I tossed the sleep training. I figured a day or two and he'd be right as rain. While on the phone with my mother in the early evening, I held the phone to his face so she could hear him. She asked, "Is he breathing through his mouth?" "No, through his nose, his mouth is closed," I responded. Unfortunately for all of us, I failed to ponder the ramifications of that fact. Obviously (in retrospect), this wasn't a matter of sore vocal chords.

Mr N got home from a motorcycle ride in time to watch the Olympics that night. After we watched Phelps win his (totally amazing) 8th gold medal, we decided Bonesteele's breathing was quite bad. He had also started a cough that sounded like a barking seal (which we did not know the significance of). We called our HMO's advice nurse. When she heard Bonesteele's breathing, she said we needed to take him to the ER immediately or call 911. That's when I sort of freaked out.

Off I went to the ER with Bonesteele. Our country's anthem was playing and Phelps was on the medals stand on the tv when I hurried into the ER with my wheezing baby (it was about 11 pm). The nurse at the counter "heard him coming," - he was that loud - and took us straight back into a room (with a door!) and within a few minutes a respiratory technician was checking Bonesteele out. The doctor was not far behind. Bonesteele had croup. They were all surprised - apparently croup season doesn't start until late September here - but once they found out Miss E was just getting over a cold, the mystery was cleared up. Bonesteele got a nebulizer treatment and some steroids in apple juice. I told him his big sister had to wait until she was about 18 months old to ever have juice, so he was quite "lucky."

Around 1 am, the doctor told me she wanted Bonesteele to stay overnight for observation and more nebulizer treatments. The first treatment had helped a bit, but Bonesteele was still breathing laboriously. We got into a room in Pediatrics around 3 am. We were both wasted by this point. Bonesteele had got maybe fifteen minutes total sleep since 11 pm. He was so tired he fell asleep sitting up on my lap. I wrapped him up and laid him in the crib and tried to pay attention while a nurse told me about the room and their procedures for what felt like an eternity (but was probably only twenty minutes). I curled up on the bed and crashed.

For an hour, until someone came in to check on the baby. Poor Bonesteele was so tired he didn't even wake. The rest of the night is a blur - I woke up at one point to find a different doctor checking on Bonesteele. Someone hooked up a cold humidifier to blow onto Bonesteele's face. I slept through a call from my husband at 7 am. I woke up to Bonesteele moving around, fussing to be fed, around 8 am. Mr N called shortly thereafter. I really wanted him to be there with me, as I was still pretty stressed (not to mention still exhausted), but what to do with Miss E? I remembered that my friend K was just barely back from her vacation and was going to church in an hour. "Ask K to take her to church with them!" I told Mr N.

Mr N was able to pawn our oldest off on K and joined me at the hospital. We slept when the baby slept. Bonesteele was like a newborn - he'd wake up and nurse, then fuss very soon thereafter to go to sleep. We'd swaddle him and rock him, and he'd sleep for an hour and a half. We repeated this every two hours all day. He had a few more nebulizer treatments. By 2 pm, they decided to hold off on any more treatments to see if he continued to improve on his own. And they wanted Bonesteele to stay a second night. I realized I was going to need a few more things from home. Mr N left around 3:30 to pick up Miss E from K's (where she had happily played through her nap). He brought her to the hospital briefly so I could see her, and brought the things I needed. They left around 5:30. I tended to Bonesteele and while he slept, I read The Other Boleyn Girl until the light from the window gave out around 8:30. In bored desperation, I downloaded a game to my cell phone. That entertained me for an hour until I could sleep.

Sleep was again erratic and interrupted, but oh well. It's a hospital. I woke at 8 am to see Bonesteele's regular pediatrician listening to his breathing with a stethoscope. He said he wanted Bonesteele to get one more dose of steroids and we were good to check out around noon. We're to go for a follow-up appointment on Wednesday.

So now we are back home, and so glad to be here. Bonesteele celebrated being home by taking a nice 2.5-hour nap and I celebrated by taking a shower! Bonesteele is smiling and laughing, despite the continued barking seal cough. His doctor said that may last for a week. He is breathing easily now, thank goodness. He is four months old today and weighs 17 lbs 10 oz. I love my big boy so much and am so glad he is doing better!


Mrs. A said...

geeze! Glad to hear that bonesteele is back home and ok!!

Jessica said...

How scary that must have been. Glad to hear that things are better!


I finally read your blog! I had no idea you had a hospital trip! So sorry! We had a similar experience this year with our oldest as well. Breathing issues. Very scary! She uses a nebulizer now whenever she gets a cold and some other breathing treatment.